31 May 2006

The Family "Pump" Organ


When we moved mom's things into storage this past weekend. The family organ was moved into it's new residence as well, my house. I cleaned it up and got the family tradition started again. I placed family pictures on the organ. One of the sweet memories is that when I was growing up, there would always be my sister, brother and my school pictures on the organ along with various other family pictures. Then come Christmas, stockings would get hung from the knobs on the place where the candles are. It's good to have the organ out again.

The organ has spent too many years in storage and unseen. It is good to have it out again to be able to enjoy, if only to look at it. I tested the organ and it works, all but one key, which has had issues with not working well all my life. I don't think the stoppers are working as they should, but it still makes beautiful sound... at least to my ears. I think the sound is sweetened by all the memories.

Take the stool for instance, there is a cross piece that isn't original, but it was carved by my grandpa as a replacement. I think about the foot pedals, look at how worn they are from hours of playing and pumping. How it must have been enjoyed so much more than I could ever know.


No comments: